New bin with A LOT of bedding

lannonMay 24, 2010

I just started my bin a few weeks ago. The bin came with a block of coir, which we soaked and placed in the bin. Then we went out and got our worms and put that in the bin as well. The issue - the bin is nearly full (its a wriggly wranch) and its all bedding. Being a newbie, I didn't realize that there were only 200 worms in the 10 lb bag that we purchased. The rest is all their bedding - which is most likely horse manure. The next day I went out and got 300 more worms - these didn't come with any extra bedding (I learned my lesson)!

So here we are with about 300 worms (of various stages) and a massive amount of bedding. The first couple of days we added a small amount of scraps - UCG's, tea bags, lettuce, chard, and banana peels. In a week and a half not much has been eaten.

My question is - do I need more worms with all this bedding, or do I just let it go for a month or so and just add a SMALL amount of food so the little babies can get used to food versus manure as a food source. I want to add our scraps SO BADLY but I don't want to mess up their new home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

You can go either way. It comes down to would you rather spend more money, or wait a LONG time? It will take about a year for this bin to filled with worms, and a few months longer to be filled to capacity.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 4:00PM
lannon

What about sifting out a majority of the existing bedding and moving that to another tray? That way I'd increase my worm-to-bedding ratio in one bin and use that one as the more active bin for processing our kitchen scraps. The other one I can just leave alone for the most part(I'm sure there will be some babies and cocoons left over).

After buying worms twice I really don't want to spend any more money.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 6:30PM
sbryce_gw

The worm to bedding ratio isn't as important as the worm to food ratio. I don't think you'd really gain anything by reducing the amount of bedding.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Serving up a tray of worms
Just thought I'd share a pic of my worm project. Been...
David Myhra
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
I Still Need Help For My Kitchen
The Garden Tower Project would seem to be of interest...
equinoxequinox
worms and compost
I have been using 3 compost bins outside, each about...
wolverine1012
More worm factory questions.
First of all, thank you for all the help this forum...
byrdmando
Sponsored Products
Queen Quilted Velvet Coverlet 90" x 95" - TOFFEE TAUPE
$749.90 | Horchow
Serena & Lily Border Frame Duvet Cover
Serena & Lily
Cotton Blend 600 Thread Count Hem Stitch Sheet Set and Optional Pillowcase Separ
Overstock.com
Madison Park Infinity 7-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Twin Spot Swivel by LBL Lighting
$132.00 | Lumens
Knape & Vogt Organization & Storage 19.75 in. x 11 in. x 21.25 in. Vegetable
Home Depot
Campania International Oak Leaves Cast Stone Garden Stepping Stone - E-27-AL
$94.99 | Hayneedle
Lucca Pillow Sham Pair by DwellStudio
$69.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™