Star / Confederate Jasmine too thin on bottom

quinc_fwb(8)March 16, 2013

We planted a confederate / star jasmine 6 or so years ago to cover an iron fence for privacy between our neighbors property and ours. We tried trimming it back when we noticed it looked long and training the vines horizontally instead of vertically to make sure it filled in at the bottom. It looked pretty full for several years but now has become thin on the bottom and too long on top. Since we wound the long vines horizontally, I don't know where to prune to get it to fill back out at the bottom if that's possible. Anyone have any advice for a novice on when and how to prune this vine to fill it back out on the bottom of this 6 foot fence? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

To make any plant 'fill out' at the bottom, you have to cut it clear back to the base, where new growth will begin. WHEREVER you cut the plant is where it will put out TWO new branches.

It sounds as if you need to start it over, by cutting a few branches at a time until you reach your desired fullness. How you will 'untangled' is anyone's guess. If I were doing it, I'd cut the whole vine back to the ground and let it start over.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Gnarly old grape vine
A neglected grape vine/arbour with a lattice of thick...
logo
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™