Bent damaged stalks

GriffletMay 15, 2012

My tomato plant fell over in the wind and now 2stalks are bent and damaged. What should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

You didn't mention the size of the plant,fruit load or location of the damage but in most cases you can just readjust the plant with a little support and it will heal itself in a short time. When you note that 2 stalks are damaged are you referring to 2 branches and if so how many are there on the plant totally. I cut/snap lateral branches from my plants daily to limit to one stem per plant with no harm to the plants. For a severe stem "Kink" low on the main stem of a plant I would attrempt to dig a trench adjacent to where the stem meets the soil and bury that section of the stem.

This might seem like a critical situation but what I think you are experiencing is normal weather trama to the plant that it will adjust to and self-correct with just minor training on your part. If the main stem snaps low to the ground you might consider replanting, otherwise the plant will adapt and grow out ot the damage.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Carefully tie them to a stake. It's like splinting a broken bone, only you don't want to tie the stem tightly to the stake. Using some soft material make a figure eight with the stem in one part and the stake in the other part. Tie above and below the bend so it is straight. If it's going to work the part above the bend should perk up in a few days. If it's too damaged to heal, you might as well prune back to healthy tissue and hope the suckers will take over.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what your conditions are in zone 3a that made you plant your tomatoes outside and vulnerable to wind. They need temps reliably above 50. We are still having some nights that dip into the 40s in zone 6.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Better than a ziplock bag
Credit: Durgan from Brantford came up with the idea. Pop...
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
I need a high yield, good tasting indeterminate tomato.
I have a short growing season, and will grow them in...
shijitake
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™