Books or Articles on Vines

danell(7)March 23, 2012

I'm looking for some printed sources that will help me understand what type of vines there are, how they grow, what they need to grow, how to care for them, what they should look like . . . etc.

I've chanced upon an article here or there but all were fairly brief. Before I put a vine on my chain link fence or build a lattice structure I want to be sure of what I'm doing. I understand some vines can be pretty hard to get off and as I drive around the neighborhood I see these ratty looking things folks have on their fences and wonder if it is the vine or lack of care that makes it look that way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Here's some brief food for thought. Annual vines are extremely unlikely to cause any difficulties, excepting too many sprouts the following year in some cases. Perennial vines are those that cause problems. Those that are herbaceous (everything above the ground dies in the winter) are unlikely to be destructive but they can creep around and send up shoots far from the original location. Woody perennial vines must be grown with more thought and planning since they are easily capable of damaging structures or other plants. If one were to get too heavy, it could pull a wood fence or pergola down. Lattice is not very strong stuff. Vines aren't generally tidy, so that's another consideration you would have. Finding one that appeals to your sense of neatness.

Regarding "hard to get off", there's degrees of that. Morning glories on a CL fence will take an hour or 2 of your time to rip all of the dead bits of stem off. A woody perennial vine can attach itself .

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:23PM
danell(7)

Thank you purpleinopp, this was actually quite helpful.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 2:21PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

You're welcome.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny 7a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™