Aggressive climbing vine

sistersiblingMarch 9, 2009

Hello!

I am wanting to plant a Cross vine in a large planter to climb up an 8 foot tall arbor as the entrance of a greenhouse. My question is:

Will it grow up and over the trellis by the winter, and will it bloom profusely?

I live in Dallas TX, So the summers get pretty hot. It will also be in full sun all day.

I'm basically hoping for something evergreen with a LOT of blooms and that will cover the arbor as quickly as possible....and, Im clueless!

Please help!

-A

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I hope my crossvine will bloom, someday, but I do not expect anything more than a massive Spring bloom and, perhaps some weak follow up. I have the native honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens( I think!), in several varieties and, while not evergreen here, flushes of blooms occur from Spring to frost, in repeating waves. I am interested in the new sort,'Major Wheeler', but the 3 types I have are dependable. Two evergreen vines I am growing, neither meeting your desires too closely, are Clematis armandi and Gelsemium sempervirens. Do not choose too quickly, as there are many aggressive vines, some blooming periodically, most of their growing season. Akebia, Bignonia and Wisteria can be too vigorous.

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™