Need vine suggestion for pergola

olive51(7)March 31, 2013

Hello, I am still trying to decide on a vine for my pergola. It measures 11' wide x 12' deep x 12' high. Two sides will be attached to an L shaped roof over our patio (the pergola will make the roof a square, rather than L shape). Hope that makes sense.

It will get full sun with just a little shade very late in the day. I am in zone 7, Atlanta, Georgia.

I would like to be able to sit under the pergola, so don't want anything that is extraordinarily messy. My wish list:

something that flowers
evergreen for year-round cover
something that won't take over the world
something that doesn't have a bad odor
something that doesn't require frequent pruning (am willing to prune several times a year, but not weekly or monthly)
something that doesn't damage the pergola

I am willing to compromise on my wish list, just looking to find a plant that fits most of the bill.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Clematis armandi seems uniformly neat, most of the year, with a brief, heavy flowering of vanilla scented flowers. Evergreen in my 7a zone.
I have not had equal success with the magnificent native called the Crossvine, which can bloom amazingly, with brilliant orange flowers, for a brief time. Does not seem overwhelming, and the one I have is coming on very slowly.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olive51(7)

Thanks Bogturtle, I am considering Clematis armandii and plan to post pics when I have them.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Climbing Evergreen Vine for Zone 7A
I'm in Nashville, TN and would love an evergreen vine...
chelseapetaja
Getting hops and honeysuckles to climb tall smooth posts?
I've got some vigorous hops vine, and so far less big...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™