The 'Art' of vermicomposting

borderbarbMay 2, 2010

IT WAS JUST A MATTER OF TIME B4 VERMI BECAME 'IN' ENOUGH FOR THE ARTSYFARTSY

Behold the centerpiece of Emily's senior show in Ruffin Gallery: a bed frame housing a worm composting operation, complete with shredded newspaper (including C-VILLE!). Those dark things pinned to the netting are small burlap pockets into which visitorsÂyes, youÂare invited to put food waste that the worms can eat. Every day at 5pm Emily does a participatory feeding and watering of her wiggling collaborators. Show's only up until Friday, so get over there!

http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=1990309083055403&act=post&pid=12172004101175010

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
borderbarb

bumperooney ... not of general interest.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 1:46PM
kathmcd7

I think it is interesting. Is it for sale as art?

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 5:47PM
antoniab(5 WofChicago,IL)

Interesting idea for a senior show. I wonder what grade she will get! And will she compost the report card??

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 11:04PM
mendopete

When I remodel our bathroom next year, I plan to build a flow-thru out of the old fiberglass tub. Will I become a famous artist? Not likely, but if art advances the 'cause' then I am all for it. My worm bin is beneath a beautiful native rhododendron that will be a true thing of beauty next week when it blooms! I hope to post my first pics soon.
Pete

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 1:51AM
borderbarb

Funny .... I bumped this item because in past, when I have posted news items, there was no response and they just sat there at the top of the line for ages.[cringe]
Re: the 'senior show' .. I thought that meant senior citizens, but maybe not. I agree that anything that demystifies or de-YUCKs vermicomposting is a plus.
Re: the 'art' of vermicomposting ... the wide scope of experiences described in this forum, seems to give credence that vermiculture is as much an 'art' as it is a science.
Pete ... the bathtub worm-farm sounds great. As for 'fame', call the local newspaper for a pictorial story. Your description of the site for your worm bin seems worthy of artistic appreciation. BTW, I'm not kidding about your calling the local paper or creating a pictorial story for a magazine. The 'fame' thing is BS, but the more people who can be exposed to the fun and beauty, and pleasure and intellectual satisfaction of vermi-keeping, the better.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Worm Sounds
Everyone I mention this to thinks I am crazy ;) I know...
mendopete
Starting large scale HM worm beds
Finally got the first of many loads hauled, door to...
nexev - Zone 8b
Worms and assorted flying things
So I've got two bins going right now, and both have...
bassopotamus
Worm illness / worms are dying
Hi there, I have a serious problem with my worm bin: Same...
Horst Knotter
Serving up a tray of worms
Just thought I'd share a pic of my worm project. Been...
David Myhra
Sponsored Products
Cameo Wall Sconce by Eurofase
$380.00 | Lumens
Ocean Window Scene Extra Large Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Ornament Star LED Yard Art
$89.99 | zulily
Jaipur Batik Flat-Weave Miao Area Rug - RUG119009
$89.89 | Hayneedle
Powell Leather Chair - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture