Drift Roses

txjoyceMarch 2, 2012

Anyone have any experience with Drift Roses? They're related to Knock Out roses, but are more of a groundcover. I've used Knock Out and old roses before and love them, but looking for something shorter. Wondering if Drift Roses would survive San Antonio?? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I haven't grown them, but I think Drift Roses would thrive in San Antonio. If I didn't have a yard full of roses already I would certainly try them.

There has been some discussion on the different cultivars on the Rose Forum. I searched "Drift" and came up with this.

Please give us a report of how to do for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Several threads came up in search for Drift Roses.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 11:33AM
msrose

I planted two in a raised bed last year and they're just about the only thing that survived. I'd definitely give them a try.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 9:19PM
weldontx(z 8a TX)

I have two. LOVE em. Good blooms, need very little attention. One grows in a raised bed next to a brick mail
box and the other is just "stuck in the ground". They will be 3 yrs old this year, are about 30" tall - max and a little wider. A NICE variety of color too.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 5:38PM
txjoyce

Thanks everyone -- I'll definitely give them a try

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 7:26PM
ogrose_tx

I have 5 Drift roses (coral) planted in my north facing front flowerbed early in March, they're blooming, look healthy, and so far, so good!

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 8:05PM
jardineratx

I purchased two peach drift roses today and I am looking forward to replacing a section of my flower bed that I have always planted with annuals. I am tired of replacing/purchasing plants twice a year, so I am going to give these drift roses a try. I have many OGRs, but very few modern roses. The tag says to plant 2 foot apart, but I am wondering if they will spread wider than that. Any comments on the mature height and width of the drifts?
Molly

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 9:28PM
ibheri

I had coral drift rose for the last couple of years. It does not get two big for me, maybe 2* 2.5 feet. It did very well the first year. Last year it was okay. Its doing pretty good so far. The clustered flowers are really nice when in bloom. I wud give it a try.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Waxahachie Swap April 11 2015
We'll meet somewhere around 9 AM or so at Brown...
sylviatexas2
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Anybody grow red buckeye?
I bought a small red buckeye almost a year ago. When...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™