Flowering vine

boncrow66March 23, 2014

Had anyone had luck with any climbing vines that flower for a arbor? I'm in SE tx. I am wanting to combine it with roses
I have a 10 ft wide arbor and want the majority to be covered in a flowering vine and the outside with cl roses. I want a fast growing vine that blooms from spring thru fall. Any suggestions will be welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Why not an annual vine like morning-glory, hyacinth vine, clitoria ternata or any number of others?

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 3:56PM
boncrow66

I thought I wanted morning glories but they die out in the winter and I don't want the hassle of cleaning it out every year so now I am leaning towards something that stays green all year and blooms occasionally or all the time. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:46PM
evdesert 9B Indio, CA

How about a violet trumpet vine. Mine climbs my walls and there is no arbor, so I would think it would climb even better with an arbor. Here is a picture of one of the flowers on mine.
Evan

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:41PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Evan, I just purchased this plant and will be growing it in my greenhouse. Can you please tell me more about this plant? Does it get really large in a pot? Any other information you could provide would be so wonderful.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 10:54AM
evdesert 9B Indio, CA

Hello ladylotus, I have had these beauties in the ground for about 3 seasons. Although not in containers like you are going to have them, they grow fast! I cut mine down to about 2'-3' tall every winter and by mid march they are 6'+. They like afternoon shade here in the desert, but will probably be ok in full sun in your zone 3/4. They bloom from February through October in zone 9 and I usually have to trim them back a little in mid summer to keep them at bay and from over taking my patio. It is the easiest plant I have ever grown, don't baby it too much, the more attention you try and pay to it the less flowers you will have. I have never fertilized them and have heard that others who have get less blooms on the years they fertilize. All in all this is a great flowering vine to have in your collection. Take care and keep us informed on how it's going!
Evan

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 11:50AM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Evan, thank you so much for responding to my question. It is unbelievable I receive the plant in a semi dormant state and I swear I can see it grow. I am really excited to get it growing and hope I see it bloom in a year or two.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 9:50PM
evdesert 9B Indio, CA

Ladylotus no problem and I'll bet you see blooms on that vine before the end of this growing season, it is a prolific bloomer all summer! Keep us posted on its progress.
Evan

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 10:17PM
elysianfields(9b CA)

Cobaea vine is pretty prolific. It grows fast and has unusual blooms. Or a black coral pea which is tough, even in clay soil. The photo is a web shot of a cobaea. It also comes in a white bloom. Purple flowering version starts off green and ages to deep violet.

This post was edited by elysianfields on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 23:47

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:30AM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

That is a very interesting vine. I grew the cobaea vine as an annual in my gardens. Loved it! I had forgotten about that vine and should plants some seeds of it again. Great idea!

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 4:21AM
evdesert 9B Indio, CA

Hey ladylotus, how is your violet trumpet vine coming along? Does it have any flowers yet?
Evan

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 12:31PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Evan,

My vine is still putting on growth. It is not very big though as we are having unusually cool weather. Things are just beginning to warm up. I will keep you posted on how it is doing and even post a photo when it really gets going. Thank you for inquiring.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 12:43AM
evdesert 9B Indio, CA

Ok ladylotus, let me know if you need any of my weather, it's supposed to be 104 today here, I'll send it your way. I'd welcome some cool weather at this point. Keep us posted on your trumpet vines progress.
Evan

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 9:18AM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Evan,

I hate hot weather and would take a slow growing plant any day over 104 deg F. I live in ND for a reason. LOL.

I bought Tangerine Beauty cross vine also when I bought my violet trumpet vine. It is doing very nicely and slowly climbing the trellis I made it. Nothing is really growing too quickly I have this awful feeling that we are going to go from cool weather to extreme heat. I think I shall perish if that happens. ha ha.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 9:39PM
evdesert 9B Indio, CA

Glad your vines are growing well, maybe I stay for the winters. Average highs around 72 F during the day and lows of 40 F at night. Then we have 3 months of above 100 daily, you get used to it. I don't know if I could handle your winters in ND. We ended up making it to 107 F today.
Evan

This post was edited by evdesert on Sat, May 31, 14 at 23:00

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™