Air Potatoes

lovemrmeweyMarch 24, 2010

Does anyone have experience with air potatoes? Years ago, my mother-in-law would plant these little tiny potatoes (inside looks like a sweet potato). A beautiful vine would grow from these with very green, heart-shaped leaves. In fall, little potatoes would form which she would store until spring, then plant. I would love to know if I could obtain these little potatoes and if anyone has information on them.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msbatt

They're called Dioscorea, but be VERY careful about which species you get. One species---maybe more---are horribly invasive, noxious weeds in your zone. E-mail me for more info.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 6:19PM
karyn1(7a)

You are probably talking about Dioscorea bulbifera. It's supposedly hardy in zones 8 and warmer but if you are in 7b that might be warm enough. I'm in 7a and it doesn't survive the winter here but I did keep it in a container, just in case.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 7:51AM
msbatt

Bulbifera *might* be okay in Zone 7a, but *I* wouldn't trust it in the ground, or in a container! It's those little 'air potatoes' that drop off that are so terrible! I don't know if it was bulbifera or villosa that took over my yard, but it was one of them.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Growing Moonflower Vine seeds soak and nick?
I received a couple of moon flower vine seeds (that's...
carolinabeach
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™