Morning Glory ID

VineWorld(8a)March 6, 2013

I thought I planted Coral Vine, but it obviously isn't. I vaguely remember possibly planting an MG seed here, but, that doesn't really matter. It's obviously an MG, but i'm not good with dwarf varities so I was wondering if anyone could pin point it and also whether it set seeds easily/needs a cross pollinator... As they seem to never set seed as they fall off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
VineWorld(8a)

Here is the bud.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:49PM
VineWorld(8a)

The Leaf.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:50PM
VineWorld(8a)

The stem and body.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:52PM
VineWorld(8a)

Unfurling Flower.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:53PM
VineWorld(8a)

Flower tube and side view.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:54PM
VineWorld(8a)

Central stem.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:57PM
gerris2

That is a beautiful Ipomoea nil. What a lovely pink flower, and awesome photo set documenting all the characters you need to identify it. It's a knockout beauty!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:40PM
VineWorld(8a)

Yes Gerris, it sure is a really beautiful flower.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 11:40PM
ron_convolvulaceae

Vineworld - You mentioned :

"It's obviously an MG, but i'm not good with dwarf varities so I was wondering if anyone could pin point it and also whether it set seeds easily/needs a cross pollinator... As they seem to never set seed as they fall off."

Thanks for your questions and photos as they are very helpful.

Joseph is right in that the species is Ipomoea nil.

I will attempt to go a bit further and add that what you have there is typically known as "Carol" or "Kawaii" which is available in a variety of colors.

The "Carol" tends to have a thinner white edge to the flowers or no lighter edge at all and are less common than the Kawaii because most people prefer the wider lighter edge and variegated leaves whereas the "Carol" series tends to have less of a lighter edge and un-variegated leaves.

The plant that you have may be a 'pure' "Carol" or Kawaii or it may have already been crossed , although I tend to think that it is an uncrossed "Carol".

The "Carol" / Kawaii (like many other highly-bred Ipomoea) can become self-infertile or sometimes plants grown indoors exhibit reduced fertility and they might just need some help via hand pollination.

I would suggest that if there is something about this particular plant that you very much like and that you would like to see preserved in the genome of the seeds , that you try and grow another pink one as similar to it as possible from other "Carol" / Kawaii seeds...if there are no pink "Carol" / Kawaii seeds available to you , then you would need to use a different dwarf type like the SunSmiles...

You could also try crossing it with a different type of I.nil altogether , but of course the results will be a somewhat unpredictable mixture of the parents.

I hope I might have helped to clarify your inquiry.

regards,

Ron

This post was edited by ron_convolvulaceae on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 10:16

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 3:50AM
VineWorld(8a)

Thanks Ron. I do have some more seeds labeled Kawaii now that I've dug around some. Perhaps I will try to grow out another. I did try hand pollinating but the results haven't seemed to produce results yet, but I'll keep trying till I can get another going.

Thanks again both of you.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™