Potassium Nitrate best fertilizer for tomatoes

californianMay 12, 2010

I just finished foliar feeding all the plants in my garden with a dilute solution of potassium nitrate. I mix it up in a 30 gallon barrel and use a watering can to apply it.

This article documents tests done using potassium nitrate for foliar feeding or preplant fertilization of tomato plants in several countries. Some of the things noted were 25% increase in yield, higher percentage of marketable fruit, increased disease and insect resistance, increased lycopene, and it can even be used to speed up germination of seeds. The proportions of K and N are exactly what the plant needs. Last time I bought some it cost about 53 cents a pound in a 50 pound bag.

Here is a link that might be useful: potassium nitrate fertilizer for tomatoes

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

What about phosphorus, calcium, sulfur, magnesium and all the micronutrients? I'd rather use something more balanced.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 7:49PM
californian

I put a half a cup of bonemeal in the planting hole for phosphorus and calcium. For magnesium I foliar feed with epsom salts. For the trace elements I cover most of them with a couple of tablespoons of ironite in the planting hole. For zinc I foliar feed with zinc chelate. I guess you could use something like Miracle-Grow, but it gets most of its N from urea, which is OK. But nitrates are instantly available to the plant in the form it uses and don't have to be converted by micro-organisms first.
Foliar feeding also causes the plant to send exudates to its roots which cause an increase in micro-organisms in the root zone and further makes the palnt grow better.
Here is a good link to the many benefits of foliar feeding.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to foliar feed and benefits

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 8:09PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Interesting article but the "best"? Wow! That's a pretty big broad claim. Especially when it is apparently based on

>one study done in different years a decade or more apart,

>in several different countries in Europe,

>each with very different soils and growing conditions,

>different rates of application,

>compared to untreated control plants and plants only getting other forms of K carriers pre-planting,

>and used as a side dressing or fertigation component (not foliar spray) and the fertigation apparently also included additional N & P,

>with very different results from country to country.

Still, based on the article, it is probably safe to say that plants given additional supplemental feedings of nutrients in some form at specific times during the growing season will out-perform/produce plants given only a pre-planting feeding.

Beyond that the view gets a little hazy. ;)

Dave

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 8:15PM
alex79

try to check these two links: one about tomato fertilizer and the other about potassium nitrate:

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato fertilizer

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
Solo Cups vs Ribbed Pots
Cost factor is in favor of the cups, especially if...
hoosier40 6a Southern IN
Sponsored Products
Aquasana 3-Stage Drinking Water Filter
$199.95 | FRONTGATE
Aquasana Countertop Water Filter
$104.95 | FRONTGATE
Aquasana Replacement Filter for Countertop Water Filter
$59.95 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™