Clematis pruning...?

juanital(5b/6a OH)March 10, 2013

Time to prune/cut back now? If so, what's suggested amount?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Wait until all danger of frost is past. I never pruned mine unless there were dead vines, which you can't determine until they leaf out, so I'd say wait until May in your zone. As far as how much, wait and see what leafs out, then cut just what you have to.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:41AM
gardengal48

Wrong!! The previous response is incorrect in some respects and vague to the extreme in others. Now is the perfect time to prune -- frost has nothing to do with it. Typically for the majority of clematis you prune them the same time you prune roses or when the forsythia is blooming. Some clematis gardeners prune much earlier in the season (December/January) without concerns because that's when they have the time.

How much you prune depends on the type of clematis you have, usually determined by when it blooms and whether on old or new growth or a combination.

There is an entire GW forum on growing clematis and I'd encourage you check it out. You will get some very helpful information from some very knowledgeable posters and pruning is discussed endlessly, especially at this time of year :-)

I'd suggest you look at the recent posted titled "ID question" - this will discuss pruning in detail as well as helping to determine what type of clematis you have and that will dictate how much you should prune.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Forum

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 5:20PM
juanital(5b/6a OH)

Thank you both for the response! I will check out the forum.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 1:58AM
More Discussions
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™