evergreen vine for fence?

becks_greenthumbApril 22, 2009

Any advice on a vine to cover a standard height chain link fence. On one 15 ft. section along the driveway I already have Cape Honeysuckle. I'm considering continuing it along the long section which is about 53 ft. but I'm not sure. It looks good, is easy to control, is mostly evergreen here in the Bay Area and it drives the hummingbirds wild. On the new section there is a hedge of lilacs, which are not full grown yet, and several roses. These are planted within a couple feet of the fence. I have a wisteria thriving on the opposite side of the yard, but I'm growing it up and out a tall, t-shaped pipe to form a tree. I'd love another wisteria, but don't think I could control it along the chain link. I'd like to stick with an evergreen. I'd love any suggestions you have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I like the look of my young Clematis armandi. Have no idea if it would get too large for your purposes or what it's future appearance will be here. Gelsemium sempervirens and rankinii are beautiful, but tend to gather in a big mass at the top of the support. I suppose they could be sheared,after Spring bloom, from time to time.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 7:53AM
ellix(augusta ga)

Crossvine is fast growing and the hummers love it too, and jasmine is fast growing and both are evergreen.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 7:12PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Confederate jasmine does nicely, also.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 1:45AM
krystal_317

I also have a neighbor problem very similar to the ladies above. Looking for a vine which grows quickly and I can't possibly kill as I'm new to gardening. I seem to be attracted to the pinks, purples and greens. :) So, I was thinking I'd try the Evergreen Wisteria Vine. What are your thoughts? Do you believe it's a good decision for covering my fence to block out the blemishes next door? From what limited pics I've seen it looks as if it should give me the coverage I'm looking for. Vines or ivy in general, how do I keep it on my fence and not growing elsewhere?

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™