Interesting vine for Southern California?

ElGrecusApril 18, 2013

We are wanting to plant vines along the fences in our side yards. We are hoping to cover the CMU block fences with something fragrant and evergreen that will cover the 5-6 foot tall fences and hopefully even extend a few feet or more higher. If it can produce fruit, either for us to eat or the neighborhood birds, that would be great. We are located in coastal Los Angeles (Culver City) and the side yards get partial sun. Are there any unusual or interesting vines that will work for us? Or, some more common ones might work as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Just visiting over here! The biggest problem with vines and this fence material is support. Vines that would adhere like English ivy and Ficus repens, are aggressive and a huge mistake. Boston ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) is manageable.

So it boils down to adding support for the twinning types, such as trellises. I tried attaching chicken wire with concrete nails for clematis - worked great until pruning time!

You might looks at sub-shrubs that accept espaliering. Wire guides can be attached to concrete nails.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™