Picture of my Wisteria / 75 years old and still going

sandyl(Zone 6B -7)April 14, 2010

The picture was taken yesterday April 13th/2010. Much prettier than this pictures showes it to be. Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I love wisteria - but that one looks a bit like an 'eat the building' type :-) It's hard to tell from the picture - is it on a single trunk? I've got a Chinese one and a Japanese one, both being grown as 'trees'. I've got my fingers crossed that the Japanese one will bloom this year as I see 'flowering wood' on it. A book I have on wisteria talks about 500+ year old Chinese ones and 1000+ year old Japanese ones - so yours is just a baby still :-) I figure future owners of this house may curse me!

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 8:32PM
lnewport

That is gorgeous!

I'm the same as you woodyoak. I have several Chinese Wisteria Vines but I have them growing on an arbor next to my house!

I plan on trying to grow them and control them but if I can't I'm not unwilling to cut them down.

I love the look of Wisteria and if I am able to control them any future owners of my house may want to cut them down LOL

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 3:36PM
chocolateis2b8(5OH)

WOW!!! Looks like you did what I did, just let it take over the tree next to it.

Nice to hear that I'll have mine the rest of my life. It's only 23 yrs old and I'm 50, so I guess we'll have each other for a while yet. That's ok, I always cut a bunch of blooms and bring them in the house, they last a long time as cut flowers and smell so nice.

The only thing I did different from you is that I wouldn't let mine anywhere near a structure. I planted it on the other side of the blacktop driveway from the house.

How big around is the main trunk on yours? And does yours bloom on and off all summer? Mine does, but not as much as it does in the spring.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 1:30AM
More Discussions
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™