How to correctly feed

maryt1061(9 TX)May 23, 2009

Should I let the worms finish off all food before adding more? Know I shouldn't have peeked today but just had to. There was tons of worms all over the food I had added and it still had a bunch left. I think. It appeared all wet and mushy. Should it???? Fed them Monday 18th and was 11 oz. for two lbs. of worms. Oh geezeess...I hope they are ok. Thanks. Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

Wet and mushy is good. That means the microbes are having a feast. Since worms don't have teeth, and it is the microbes that they live off of, wet and mushy is what the worms need.

When to add more food is something that you will have to learn to judge for yourself. It may take a few days for food added now to become wet and mushy. I would wait until the food in the bin now is mostly gone, but not completely gone. That way the worms will be finishing off the old food while the new food begins breaking down.

Part of this will depend on how much you feed, what you feed and how you prepare it. Some foods take longer to break down or have a strong odor no matter how well you manage the bin. Other foods break down quickly and don't smell.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 6:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raubuch(Zone 8)

Yes, wait until the food is all gone before feeding again. Mushy is just fine. They will eat it all. Sometimes when starting a new bin, it takes them a while to adjust.

I wrote a page on feeding worms if you want some more info.

Good luck and don't worry too much. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Feeding Compost Worms

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Here, in the afterglow of day, we keep our rendezvous beneath the blue
Any GardenWeb alternatives on the horizon? This worm...
equinoxequinox
Worried about my worms
I'm in zone 9. Coastal Texas. I have my bin well established...
greenwater87
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
harry57
how fragile are worms?
I was harvesting vc and really had put some force into...
chazz1100
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™