fuzzy white mold in worm bucket drainage holes

bigdirtyboyMay 11, 2009

Please help if you can! This is my second year using a red worm compost bucket. last year i had no problems, just huge success. This year i am using the same bucket and doing the same system. The only difference is that my wife did not like the looks of the bucket on blocks with a lid underneath to collect the black seepage it would smell and was very unsightly. So to please her i built a cedar box around my plastic bucket, and built a tappered bottom so that the black seepage would convienently collect into a mason jar. So now my bucket is in a dark box with a hinged lid. I also drilled 6 large holes in the cedar box so that it would vent through. Now i have white fuzzy mold growing from my drainage holes of my plastic bucket. What can i do to stop the mold? or does it not even matter? please help! thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leearnold(z5 In.)

You should be ok. Mold is one of the inhabitants of a worm bin. As well as a food source for the worms. Add some DRY shredded newspaper or DRY shredded cardboard.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 3:52PM
bigdirtyboy

thanks leearnold! do you think that there might not be enough venting on the cedar box surrounding the plastic bucket? there is no mold in the bucket, it grows from the bottom drainage holes in an icicle formation on the underside of the plastic bucket! thanks again!

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 11:48AM
leearnold(z5 In.)

You say that there is no mold in the bucket, only at the drainage holes? Why do you have so much liquid draining from the holes?

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Red Mites Eat My Garbage
Yes, it's true. Red mites have taken over my worm bin...
remarkikkin
Cardboard Shredding, Shredding Cardboard
Hello everyone, I have a tiny space in town and cannot...
iamlook
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
Worried about my worms
I'm in zone 9. Coastal Texas. I have my bin well established...
greenwater87
Paper shredders and corrugated cardboard
Thought I'd start a discussion on paper shredders versus...
gerry_g
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™