Zapotec Tomato reviews?

afbq(7)May 4, 2013

I bought a Zapotec tomato plant today on an impulse buy. Any reviews on it? How sweet/tart is it? How prolific? Are these heirlooms and truly from the Zapotec people?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

From Tatiana's Tomatobase Zapotec

Note there are at least 3 sub-strains. Brokenbar who used to post here regularly lists it as one of the best varieties for drying.

Dave

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:37PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

As grown by me hollow, as the link from Tania's data base also indicates, and for me pretty much tasteless.

I have to call them as I grow them. ( smile)

Carolyn

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 10:00PM
organique

I just harvested my first batch. They were not quite ripe, so hopefully the flavor will develop a bit more. So far, a bit bland, neither sweet nor tart, but really not bad. The texture was slightly mealy, so I think these would be better suited to saucing or drying versus eating in a fresh salad.

I chose this variety because I heard it would do better in hot dry conditions as compared to other varieties. I did not grow them in my garden; I planted one beside an apple tree so that it could piggy back on the same drip line. That tree gets watered no more than once a week. I rooted the suckers from that first plant and started about twenty more plants throughout the orchard. None of my plants have been bothered by any bugs or birds - not one nibble. They all seem to be quite happy with minimal watering and no added fertilizer or any ammendments whatsoever.

So, while this is not the most delicious tomato I have had so far, it is heavy bearing, tolerant or dry conditions and heat, doesn't mind poor soil. The only thing I did after transplanting them was cut off suckers and let them use the tree stakes for vertical support. Since I let them go sort of wild all over the orchard, I will have a lot and plan to sun dry most of them.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
Is any one growing Delicious?
Is any one growing Delicious?
gridgardener
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™