Vermicompost & tea .. news item

borderbarbMay 22, 2010

Interesting article about farmer in Philippines who uses both vermicompost and v-tea on rice crop.

///

'Worm compost' eases El Niño effect on rice seed production

...snip.... Despite the El Niño, his lowland rice crops reached harvesting stage with more filled grains and more seeds per panicle....snip....According to Dr. Cielito A. Beltran of TCA, vermicompost and vermitea, when used as fertilizer and pesticide, respectively, can increase rice productivity up to 28 percent.

Here is a link that might be useful: VC, VT eases El Nino effect

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjames(8/LA)

I'm hoping to get some benefit out of using VC tea myself. I've been spraying it directly on my garden. My problem is I will not know how effective it is because I'm doing the whole garden rather than just part of it to compare. But I will look for insect damage to see if I see little or alot.

I have a hardy hibiscus that for some reason attracts a little fly. The larvae turn the leaves into lace. One year I bought some chewing tobacco and brewed some nicotine poison. It did not seem to help as much as I thought Partially because I hated using the stuff and quit too soon. I hope to see VC tea work this year.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
RIP, Vermicomposting, once of the Garden Forums.
We were a viable entity. Evicted and thrown to the...
chuckiebtoo
Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex
Hello all, This is my first post in this forum so I...
latebloomer23
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
Paper shredders and corrugated cardboard
Thought I'd start a discussion on paper shredders versus...
gerry_g
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™