Planting Bougainvillea next to house wall

wildzxApril 18, 2013

hello all,
quick question. I hear that the roots of Bougainvillea are rough, tough and very hard; is this true? I planted 2 Bougainvillea next to my house wall, and plan is to have the vines climb up the chimney and wall.
Should I be concerned about the roots of the 2 Bougainvillea i planted effecting my house foundation, wall or something like that? will it be ok or should i move them in planters? thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I have no real knowledge except that Bouganvillea is planted against house walls all over Southern Europe. But building techniques might be different.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonoz_gw

You haven't posted your area, so it's difficult to say how vigorous the plants may grow for you.
"Old fashioned" bougs grow to almost tree-like proportions in warmer climates, with something for support, but the newer cultivars are much more restrained.
I would say that the roots are no worse than those of a rose - certainly large but not invasive as water-seeking tree roots might be.
I would check out the depth of your foundations, ANYTHING can penetrate under, and seek professional advice as it's better to spend $100 and shift a new plant, than pay thousands in house repairs.
I don't think there is any advantage in a raised pot in the same position if the roots will eventually go into the ground.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 3:28AM
More Discussions
Gnarly old grape vine
A neglected grape vine/arbour with a lattice of thick...
logo
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™