Blue Moon Wisteria growing over pergola, pruning??

fruitmaven.WIz5(5)April 5, 2012

Hello,

I planted a Blue Moon Wisteria vine last summer at the base of my 16'x14' pergola. It has two vines growing from the base (each about 3-4' tall), and I want to know how to train it. Should I cut one of the stems off, and let just one reach the top of the pergola? Should I twine the two stems around each other? Would that kill them? I know the wisteria gets thick, woody stems and the Blue Moon should be plenty hardy in zone 5. Please let me know!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bake-neko(6b)

I'm still learning about Wisteria myself, so I can't answer most of your questions with any real certainty. But that said, I think you would be fine to twine the stems, if that's what you want to do.

I'm learning about how to train them into a Tree form, as I'm thinking of trying it. Often those stems are twined around each other - sometimes using more than one variety/color to make an even more interesting and lovely show when they flower. They grow together like this, eventually forming a self-supporting "trunk". There are many pictures on Google Images. The vines seem to gain strength from this rather than harm.

They seem very vigorous and hardy vines, tough to kill.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™