Need a vine suggestion

Hannzo24April 12, 2012

I have an unsightly pole in my front yard that I'd like to wrap in wire and grow a climbing vine up. It will get late day sunshine, the rest of the day in the shade. I'm a little lost as to what kind of vine to plant that would climb up the pole to make it attractive. Any of you have some suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

I don't know what zone you are, but Virginia creeper is really pretty in the fall. It turns a brilliant red, and doesn't mind the shade. Some ivy varieties have nice fall color as well. I don't think either of those plants would require a trellis, they'd climb a wood pole with no help.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 10:32PM
Hannzo24

It's a round metal pole BTW.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 10:06AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hi, welcome to gardenweb.

You can find your zone here. Type your ZIP code in the box & hit enter. By including it in your profile info (and preferably your 2-letter state abbreviation) people will be able to give you specific advice. Not all plants grow well in all places, so zones and states are the way advice and plants are classified.

What kind of pole are you talking about, metal flag pole? Wood telephone/electric pole? Sign pole? Light post? What is currently going on in the ground where you want to put the vine? Are you looking for something that will be killed by winter or something that will grow back again in the spring?

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™