Vines for ultra sunny wall

patiogarden200April 20, 2014

Hi,
A wall of my patio is bare, and I can not seem to grow anything on it. I think it may be because it gets too much sun, it has sun in the morning, and all through the afternoon.

I've tried several meyer lemon trees, creeping fig, and now a jasmine vine (the light pink one). Everything burns, even if I keep it watered. Ideally, I'd like something that can trellis or climb on it's own, is evergreen, and grows quickly. Oh, and can be grown in a container.

Any suggestions one what would work? I'm thinking the wall might be reflecting light and amplifying it (it's a light beige, and I can't paint it)I know the standard potato vine suggestion, but I'm not sure that is any more hardy than the jasmine? What about a climbing rose?

I'm in hardiness zone 8B
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

i have a Carolina Jasmine (yellow flowers) growing on a south facing fence. it grows moderately in full sun in 96-100'F summers.

i have two native honeysuckles on the same fence, they grow somewhat slowly.

and i also have a Japanese honeysuckle which grows like a weed, even over the hot concrete driveway. it is an invasive species, but it'll thrive in very hot conditions, and the flowers are very fragrant/sweet.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 12:27AM
More Discussions
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™