Am I doing this right?
I've been vermicomposting for about a month in a "Worm Factory" composter. My worms seem happy and I've got what I think you would call worm castings in the collection tray, but I have a few questions.
1) Aren't the worms supposed to crawl out of the collection tray? I have lot of worms that are just hanging out there it seems. I only check that tray every once in a while.
2) At what point am I supposed to stop adding to the active tray?
3) Do I Have to chop up all of my scraps or can I just put them in there?
4) Can my scraps go straight from kitchen to worms or does there have to be some kind of holding place in between for the scraps to decompose?
5) What do I do with the castings in my collection tray? Can I put it directly on top of existing soil? Does it have to be mixed in?
Also... interesting tidbit... I tossed cantaloupe scraps into my bin... apparently there were some seeds in there as well, because my compost bin has sprouted!
I was able to pull a few sprouts out and continue to grow them... then they'll be transplanted or given away, I guess. Not sure I have room for another cantaloupe plant.