Weird things in my worm bin

teacher_mom2(7)May 8, 2008

I posted this and then it disappeared a few minutes later. ??

Anyway, I checked my worm bin tonight and there are hundreds of things that look like little white strings.

What are these?

Are my worms in danger?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leokat75

Most likely you are looking at pot worms. White, maybe an inch long at most and are TINY. These are generally caused by over acidic conditions, which is caused by over feeding or excess moisture. Most likely over feeding caused the excess moisture, which make for perfect acidic conditions for these little pot worms.

VERY common, no need to panic, they don't hurt anything but they indicate conditions that are less then ideal for your worms. Just back off the food for a week or two, add more bedding and let everything dry up a bit. Note how wet everything is now and try to stay drier then your current conditions. Squeeze a handful of the material, if ANY water drips out when you squeeze things are too wet. Everything should be damp enough to hold together when squeezed but NOT drip. Hence, the "damp as a wrung out sponge", with the emphasis on "wrung out" or "done dripping".

Kat

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 3:51PM
trancegemini_wa(10b)

also, putting bread in the bin encourages pot worms. I noticed this in my own worm bin (these days I compost the bread instead) and kelly slocum confirmed a connection between bread and pot worms (It was a long time ago though so I can't quote what she said about it) but it certainly led to outbreaks of them when I used to put it in for the worms

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 11:49PM
squeeze(z8 BC)

you may also be seeing some form of fungal activity, especially actinomycetes [a fungal-like bacteria], which could be an indicator that area of the bin has gotten hotter than desireable

Bill

Bookmark   May 9, 2008 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex
Hello all, This is my first post in this forum so I...
latebloomer23
Houzz Rule(r)s
Today I received an official welcoming gift via the...
chuckiebtoo
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™