Worm Factory

wormy-d(11 So. Cal)May 5, 2009

Hello all.

I'm a newbie to vermicomposting, and I have started out with a five bin worm factory and a pound of red wrigglers. I am two and a half months in and I just started my third tray yesterday. Things seem to be progressing well, maybe a little two well? I have read alot about the dangers of overfeeding and not taking it slow in the begining, but it seems as though I can hardly keep up with the little guys.

I feed the worms once a week, taking vegtable scraps, fruit cores and peels and blending them together. I then mix the slurry with carboard shredded by a home/office shredder. I add the cardboard until there is no excessive moisture present in the mix, and then I spread the mix in an even layer across the 16x16 bin. I cover this with moistened shredded paper, and four whole pieces of moist newspaper. I add coffee grounds every day.

I know much of this is unnecessary, but can it be a part of the reason my worm farm has exploded so quickly in the begining?

I keep the bin outdoors on my covered back patio in So. Cal where its usually warm. Do the warmer temps help or hinder?

Because it is outside I am not to bothered by the fruit flys, but they do buzz about when I have the lid off. Any suggestions on how to control them?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this. I am hoping some of you veterans can provide answers to my questions as well as any helpfull info or tips you may have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beth_monsterworms(9 SF East Bay)

Wormy-d, It sounds like you have it all figured out and are well on your way! If it seems like it is a little wet, you can also try adding in DRY shredded paper instead of wet or damp. For fruit flies, we use apple cider vinegar with a squirt of liquid dish soap in a cup or bowl. The flies fly in and can't get back out.
Beth

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 1:41AM
wormy-d(11 So. Cal)

Thanks for the feedback Beth. Things dont seem to moist, in fact I left the spigot open for a day and the next morning I saw ants exploring the bin, they usually pay it no attention. I remember reading in the manual that ants will keep away if the mositure level is correct. This is important as I keep the bins outside, and in So. Cal there is no shortage of ants.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 4:07PM
jimnyo(8 (SoCal))

i'm in socal and around my 7th week and i still only have half a 2nd tray and i've only fed them once (chopped up banana peels) since the intial feeding. so you must be doing something right! i don't have a problem w/ants or fruit flies, though, so it's probably a tradeoff. thanks for the tips!

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 2:15AM
kgross

Congrats on starting a worm bin!! They are the best! Last Christmas I made boxes for my relatives. They thought I was joking when I said they were getting a box of dirt and worms. :)

To help my gift recipients out, I posted a few "How to..." articles. I kept getting the same questions, and it was easier to not have to keep repeating myself. :) These will probably help you too.

How to Build a Worm Box:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4769967_build-kitchen-worm-composting-box.html

How to Fix a Worm Box That Smells:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4770017_fix-worm-composting-bin-smells.html

How to Harvest Compost from a Worm Box:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4769994_harvest-compost-worm-box.html

Good luck and happy composting!
Kerry

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Survivability of worm eggs.
I had a lidded bucket of vermicompost sitting outside...
theforgottenone1013
Moldy Coffee Grounds
I have a large plastic container of used coffee grounds...
Shaul
Worms and assorted flying things
So I've got two bins going right now, and both have...
bassopotamus
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Horse Manure Magic
After vermicomposting the waste of our horses for the...
mendopete
Sponsored Products
Metallic Black Tahiti 20 Piece Window Hardware Set
$42.95 | Bellacor
Set of Four Gold Leaf Cereal Bowls
$119.50 | FRONTGATE
Cactus! Napkin Holder by Alessi
$67.00 | Lumens
Devynn Chair - BROWN
$2,329.00 | Horchow
Indoor Area Rug: Palm Tree Natural 5' x 7' Eco-friendly
Home Depot