2 different vines, one trellis?

Dana3April 4, 2013

I planted Passionflower last fall, while they mature over time I hate to see a bare, large, free standing trellis. If I plant Scarlett Runner beans this summer, can they share the trellis? Without hurting the permanent Passionflower? I figure I would plant the beans on the other side of the free standing trellis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

I don't see why not. The runner beans will add nitrogen to the soil when they die back this fall, thus helping the Passiflora - it's a win-win planting, imho!

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 3:43PM
Dana3

Thank you, I will give it a shot. I was worried about my scrappy looking Passionflower. but they are young and maybe the extra nitrogen will be just the thing it needs!

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 2:44PM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

On a lattice fence behind the little rock garden I have Gelsemium sempervirens, Clematis 'Ramona', Lonicera tragophylla, L. sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson', a white double Clematis and often some annual vines. On the lattice fence that hides the side of the above-ground pool, I have G.s 'Pride of Augusta', Clematis Montana Grandiflora and Lonicera periclymenum and C. 'Ramona'. Trying to get Bignonia capreolata to take a part, also. I also plant annuals like morning glory and moonvine. They all mix well enough to satisfy me.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™