perennial sweet peas

babera(5a (Montana))April 29, 2014

Hi, I have a bed I describe as *bright shade* It is on the south side of my yard but it is against a 6' fence, a lilac bush close by and the neighbors house as well as a huge pine about 20'away.

I had a clematis there for a few years, it bloomed but never really grew very well. This past winter it didn't survive. So I went to the nursery to get another and found out they like more sun than I can offer in that bed. I do have one in full sun with cooled roots from under planting, it does fabulous.

So I asked the owner of the nursery about it and she said they do prefer more/some sun. She talked me into perennial sweet peas. I have them in a very sunny location and they couldn't be happier. I was a little skeptical but I did buy one plant. I planted it away from the trellis and provided a support for it to use until it can reach the taller one.

has anyone grown these in anything less than full sun? or did I let her talk me into something I may regret?

Thanks for any and all comments. . .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

If we are talking Lathyrus latifolius, then this is not really a vine - it is a lax, sprawling plant with no visible means of support :-)) It is often used as a groundcover. It can tolerate light shade, relatively dry conditions and can spread both rhizomatously and by seed, sometimes to the point of being weedy.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Climbing Evergreen Vine for Zone 7A
I'm in Nashville, TN and would love an evergreen vine...
chelseapetaja
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Sponsored Products
Gelato Pendant by LBL Lighting
$180.00 | Lumens
Sweet Triangle Pot Holder
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Lumi - Mochi Table Lamp with Stand by Fabbian
$276.30 | Lumens
'Their Papa' Box Sign
$8.99 | zulily
Ladybug Sign Set
$9.99 | zulily