Night Crawlers or Red Worms??

teaal4June 7, 2010

What kind of worms should I use in a indoor worm bin? Night Crawlers or Red wigglers? I am thinking of using a Rubber Tub to start with. Can I just pull them from my garden?? Thanks in Advance for the advice!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

Red Wigglers. But since just about anything can be called a Red Wiggler, you want Eisenia foetida.

Can you pull them from your garden? Probably not. Worms that are good for composting generally don't live in garden soil.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 1:08AM
smalltowngal

I think I ended up with two different kinds of worms. In my rubbermaid bin, I think I have mainly European nightcrawlers. In my wooden stackable bin, I think it's more of the traditional red worms.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 8:03AM
PRO
equinoxequinox

You can pull them from your compost heap. I did. If buying I would want to make sure they were Eisenia foetida. I might have a mix. I would prefer not to. Some types might be more inclined to crawl. Some experienced worm wranglers prefer a mix.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 7:16PM
damia(7)

Is it okay to start out with a mix taken from a compost pile?

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 5:02PM
PRO
equinoxequinox

From a compost pile yes. Then later if you decide you want species specific worms you can put the original worms back in the compost. Be sure to tell us if it ended up both types were identical. I would prefer to have Eisenia foetida. I do not know what I have. Maybe half Eisenia foetida and half something I like less. Mine are free from my outdoor compost. At one time we let a few red wigglers from a library workshop into the outdoor compost. You might want to practice with compost worms and then move up to the $ worms when you feel confident of their sucess. Just put the first worms back into the compost to not contaminate your new worms.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Our new home, seems to me, needs new blood. So...from square one.....
.......one of my old beginner vermi-blogs. http://wormscan.blogspot.com/...
chuckiebtoo
Types of worms
I imagine this topic has been discussed at length in...
duaroger
Horse Manure Magic
After vermicomposting the waste of our horses for the...
mendopete
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™