pineapple scraps

wendrew8June 15, 2010

I purchased a whole pineapple and will be carving it up tomorrow. Can the worms have the leaves, outside, or the core? I know that I have read that worms shouldn't have any pineapple fruit, but what about the rest? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steamyb(7)

If you just have one tote, put a smallish sample in the corners and see. Leaves in one corner, outside of fruit in another, core in the third making sure that the wigglers have room to escape and other yummies to feast on. An experiment of sorts, but without the paperwork (unless you let us know what happened, and we really like experiments!). If you have multiple totes, just use one sample per tote. That way if part of the pineapple is way, way toxic, you won't lose the whole lot. Just an idea, and it helps to dispel some old myths and misinformation that has been passed down for ages. If all of the pineapple is bad for worms, then that info will help the worms and wormers also. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 5:47AM
PRO
equinoxequinox

"Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme bromelain, which helps in the digestion of protein. Fresh pineapple juice is also used in removing intestinal worms."

leaves - Will take forever to breakdown. The worms might like playing in it.

outside - Has a lot of the inside. I would put it in an outside compost pile. Or precompost it to the max. I would not feed it fresh to my worms.

core - Same as inside. I would not feed it fresh to my worms.

Canned pineapple is different. The canning process heats making the enzime not work. Canned pineapple and the juice from the can is used like watermellon or cantelope rind. Add lots of bedding. I have used a lot of canned pineapple leftovers and juice for the size of the bin.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 8:39AM
rookie09

I pre-compost a lot of pineapple (core, sides, tops and bottoms). The worms in the outside bin hang out in the leaves like monkeys in a tree. No negative impact. Like the others, I would not add any fresh to a bin -- not worth the risk.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Wierd goings on
2 bins. One has vent holes along the sides the other...
greengrass12
Need help for my kitchen
There is no way I can get to my outdoor compost in...
equinoxequinox
Worm illness / worms are dying
Hi there, I have a serious problem with my worm bin: Same...
Horst Knotter
putting bin outside to deal with fly problem?
I have been trying to deal with an infestation of flies since...
granite_grrl
How many worms
I am starting my first worm bin out of a 18 gal tote....
brad71
Sponsored Products
Heron Task Lamp
Lightology
Miniature Favela by Vitra
$475.00 | Lumens
Garland Handy Dandy 2.4 Gallon Recycled Plastic Compost Pail Multicolor - GP2
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Knape & Vogt Closet Organization 96 in. Bronze Closet Pole Oil Rubbed Bronze
$55.57 | Home Depot
Dark Green Scraps Bowl
$14.99 | zulily