Can anyone identify this vine?

thewoefulbudgieMay 18, 2010

It grows like crazy in the thin strip of dirt along my garage. The foliage seems almost succulent, and when I dug it up last fall, I found a complex network of...well, I guess they'd be rhizomes? I dug up as much as I could find, but not surprisingly, I missed a few, and they're sending up new shoots.

Now, I've got nothing in particular against this vine. It's lush and green and seems to thrive on neglect...and hey, I like that in a plant. But I've also got a toddler who's into exploring things by tasting them, so I try to keep toxic plants out of my garden as much as possible (ask me about my continuing battle against black nightshade). Identifying it would help me to decide whether I should keep trying to dig it up, or buy it a trellis and make it feel welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of vine and roots

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

I'm afraid your going to have to wait til it gets a little bigger so that identification is possible.
If you really don't know what it is, and your afraid of your little child eating the vine, dig it all out now.
When it comes to your child, it's better to be safe than sorry.
If you really want another vine there, go to a local nursery and ask for a nonpoisonous vine and plant it.
I wouldn't leave the safety of my child up to people on the internet.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 2:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

You'll probably have better luck getting an answer if you post this on the "Name That Plant" forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: name that plant

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Wysteria
does all Wysteria spread in a vine like fashion? I...
marial1214
Have you planted Morning Glories in Hanging Baskets?
Has anyone planted Morning Glories in Hanging Baskets?...
valal111
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™