Beaumontia grandiflora won't flower

msbattMay 30, 2011

I got this plant in trade several years ago, and It has had some hard knocks. One winter the door to the greenhouse blew open and it froze back to the soil line, another winter it lost all its leaves, etc. But finally, last winter I found a place where it was HAPPY, and it's putting on new growth like crazy---but I've NEVER seen this flower. Now that it's growing good, what should I do to encourage flowers? How much sun does it need, and how heavy a feeder is it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I've never had any luck with this plant but I did see quite a few growing in Puerto Rico last month. It must be a popular landscape plant over there. There were several huge vines in full bloom, all growing in full sun. I couldn't tell you anything else, sorry. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 1:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

I have a friend who owns a nursery, that has/had one - it's currently on display in a butterfly atrium. Her vine is MASSIVE ie it's in a 50 gallon container and of course, blooms every summer.

I got cuttings from her and asked how long before it would bloom - she said hers was a woody and huge vine before it finally bloomed, so I'd say (according to her description) it has to have a large caliper before it will bloom.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™