Help identifying damage

davidtigerfanMay 15, 2012

Hey guys, my plants are doing great, but the very first tomato that was on the vine was eaten by something. Any idea what? Here's a pic:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a(6a)

YUK !!!!!

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:41PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

In order of possibility - hornworm, tomato fruitworms, grasshoppers, slugs if it was low to the ground, squirrels if they had access to it.

Dave

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:39PM
davidtigerfan

I'm pretty sure it's not hornworms, there's no damage to the plant. What can I use to control those pests? I'd like to use something organic, but am not opposed to pesticides. Sevin dust?

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 8:07AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I vote for caterpillar damage, particularly that large hole.

Here's an interesting page which talks about damage from various caterpillars. Apparently cutworms will eat fruit, if it's on or near the ground.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/C783/m783fpcatdmgid.html

Please, no Sevin! Sevin kills everything. [But if you're ever in a situation where you do use Sevin, the dust is less damaging to good insects than the spray.]

Bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki (usually abbreviated BT, BTk, or BT kurstaki) kills caterpillars, and only caterpillars. It takes a while to kill them, so it's best used on young, small caterpillars.

You can find various products containing BT. [Be sure it's "kurstaki," as other types of BT don't kill caterpillars. But of course, in any product advertised to kill caterpillars which contains BT, the BT would be kurstaki.]

Yes, hornworms also eat leaves. But so do many of the other possible caterpillars.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 12:51PM
davidtigerfan

Thanks, I'd only use sevin as a last resort. I've lost the last 2 seasons of tomatos to heat and critters. I'm determined to have some good tomatos this year. I have BT, I'll mix up a batch and spray.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 9:02PM
barrie2m_

Could be mice. Usually with fruitworms you will have some pitting but far more fruit with just holes and as you might expect once they are burrowed inside the fruit spray won't get to them. Hornworms are more evasive and easily camoflaged but you should notice the foliage missing on parts of this plant. The location of the fruit might be more helpful.

I have a few tomatoes ripening in my high tunnels and the other day I noticed a chipmunk in the one corner. Last night I had a dream that each ripe tomato had a bite out of it. In my vivid dream the bottoms were all knarley and oozing. Today I picked the ripe tomatoes, unaffected and ate them but I share your pain. I would not hesitate to get to the bottom of the problem if I were you.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 10:02PM
davidtigerfan

Thanks, I'd only use sevin as a last resort. I've lost the last 2 seasons of tomatos to heat and critters. I'm determined to have some good tomatos this year. I have BT, I'll mix up a batch and spray.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Juliet Grape Tomato
Are these tomatoes supposed to be this big? I guess...
dirtygardener73
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Sponsored Products
Red Vanilla Summer Sun Sugar and Creamer Set
Overstock.com
32 Gallon Cylinder Trash Receptacle - T172BLK
$493.00 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Harrington Floor Lamp
Serena & Lily
Pillow Perfect Orange Polka Dot Square Throw Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Cedar Shed 9 x 6 ft. Beach House Garden Shed - BH96
Hayneedle
Arena TV Mount by BDI
$609.00 | Lumens
House of Troy Black Felt Lined Clip-On Gooseneck Piano Lamp
Lamps Plus
Duck Covers Covers Essential 127 in. L Rectangle/Oval Patio Table with Chair
$74.99 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™