Native Florida Red Worms

bobvisaaJune 22, 2013

I am new to vermicomposting and have seen advertisments advertising native Florida Red Worms. Are these really just Eisenia Fetida worms? Is there really any advantage to using these native Florida Red Worms?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
equinoxequinox

Not much more than marrying a Native Florida American. What exactly would that even mean? If it were me I would shy away from that sales pitch and search our a company that sells worms by the Latin name. Companies that do not tell you what you are buying, IE do not use the Latin name are selling a pig in a poke. Thus it all depends upon how many pigs you want poking you.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 12:37AM
squirmwurm

I think I've seen the same advertised on craigslist. It definitely sounds like a gimmick, considering the fact that he sells them for $40 per pound. He talks about "other worms" by using their scientific names like Eisenia fetida, but when he identifies his own he just calls them "native" red wigglers - but red wigglers ARE Eisenia fetida. Think his new gimmick is selling 30 worms for $4 - considering that there should be 500 - 1000 mature worms in a pound, that's like paying between $66.67 and $133.33 per pound.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:47AM
chuckiebtoo

I suspect that those worms are Jewish New Yorkers transplanted there after the 2008 Wall Street meltdown.

Chuckiebtoo

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 8:39AM
zzackey(8b GA)

They sell them here for bait. We have Red Wigglers. They should have it marked on the container. They can't live outside here. It gets too cold. They are little dinky worms. Not like the big night crawlers I used to catch for fishing when I was little in PA.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
When to start feeding in Second Tray of Worm Factory
When should I start feeding in Second Tray of Worm...
charlieboring
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
Air: Pump + Stone
How about a 5" airstone disc with a small (for...
barbararose21101
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™