Fed Up

randomzJune 11, 2010

Is it just me or are others getting annoyed with the adverts that make the web page go up and down while trying to read it or click on links?

I realise that they wish to make money by advertising, but when it gets to be annoying it's counter productive in my opinion.

The barrage of advertising on this site also makes it fairly slow to respond compared to most forums I am involved with.

/rant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mendopete

I agree 100%. What can be done about it?

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 10:01AM
mwudan

i think the adblocker i have on firefox keeps that banner from loading.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 10:15AM
sbryce_gw

Absolutely agreed.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 11:14AM
alabamanicole(7b)

I agree the ads on this site are excessive. Part of the problem with the speed of the site is that the site doesn't allow the page to load until all the ad scripts load -- and right now on this page there are at least 5 ad services running scripts, and a 6th one I am not sure.

I should say *trying* to run scripts. I use FireFox with AdBlock and NoScript. Ads are part of what makes the free web work, so I whitelist sites that have well behaved ads. Cross-site scripting (XSS) is strictly forbidden, however. It can be a vector for pushing malware to PCs.

I'm glad you're not fed up with your worms!

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 11:21AM
equinoxequinox

Vermicomposters will flock to where ever the board functions the best and where ever the best posters are.
Just like worms to cantalope or bees to a new hive. And it happens just as quick.

I hate when even clicking the X on advertisements does not get rid of them. That whole what your reading moves up and down as the ad opens and closes is horrible.

I'm sure it is not just the vermicomposters at gardenweb who are buzzing. We like it here and want to stay. Maybe the site could back down to an acceptable annoyace level of advertisements?

If you all escape the bin due to poor conditions please leave a path of cornmeal and crushed egg shell for me to follow.

I read and post at a few vermicomposting sites and they all have their ups and downs as vermicomposters move to the best sites.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 6:51PM
karendee(5WestOFChicago)

yeah this site does seem to have more ads than others. My computer blocks most but I still see some.

I thought this thread was about being fed up with worms at first...I am glad that is not the case

Karen

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 3:08PM
jonas302(central mn 4)

Its not so much that I mind looking at there adds I hate it when my computer opens a new window and locks up if my mouse falls in the wrong spot can't they at least made the adds load fast and work properly

Does anyone have a link to a blocker that takes care of those in text adds the works with IE

You can opt out of them but every time your cookies clear you have to do it again

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 4:13PM
alabamanicole(7b)

Google "internet explorer ad blocker." There are several options. I can't vouch for any of them since I never use IE.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 6:17PM
ttac

I don't like all the advertising aswell, but the thing I would like to see changed is to have a place that we can post pictures. I'd like to share my bin/bed setups and see others.
This forum is for info on worm composting, and a picture says a thousand words

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 9:03AM
    Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
Red Mites Eat My Garbage
Yes, it's true. Red mites have taken over my worm bin...
remarkikkin
Worried about my worms
I'm in zone 9. Coastal Texas. I have my bin well established...
greenwater87
Here, in the afterglow of day, we keep our rendezvous beneath the blue
Any GardenWeb alternatives on the horizon? This worm...
equinoxequinox
Need few red worms / red wigglers to start composting near torrance, C
Hi all, We recently moved to Torrance, CA. I need...
vidnand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™