pruning wisteria - help please!

dreamsalive(9)May 1, 2009

I, like many here, have had terrible luck getting my wisteria vines to bloom for the past 9 years, since they were planted. This past winter, we did a MAJOR pruning, and cut back the vines to pretty much the main 3 to 5 branches. They are now starting to grow some green shoots, with leaves & no blooms again (of course, boohoo). In years past, these wisteria plants (I believe there were 3 planted altogether along our front yard fence) grow OUT OF CONTROL with long, long, long green shoots all summer. How am I supposed to prune, when and how much, where, etc... thank you for being SPECIFIC... I'm clueless on gardening terminology and am a rookie here.

In years' past, our gardeners have just taken the hedgers to it and sheered them off b/c the leaves and shoots are so crazy... I know, this is clearly no way to prune and it created a disaster to prune when I just did it this past winter. I will not allow the gardeners to touch the hedgers near my wisteria again. But I need to know how to handle these crazy shoots & leaves when they start going whacko.

Thanks again for your advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how it should be done.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to prune Wisteria vines

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™