How far apart should my tomato plants be from corn?

kurango(10a sunset 22)May 7, 2011

In the book "Carrots Love Tomatoes" it says "Don't plant tomatoes near corn because the tomato and corn earworm are identical."

My question is . . .

1. How far apart should they be? A few feet? Several yards? Not in the same yard? Next county over?

TIA,

Kathi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bets(z6A S ID)

I have had my corn as close as 6 feet from my tomatoes, and never had a problem with it. We do get an occassional corn earworm, but I have not seen them on the tomatoes, they do seem to prefer the corn.

Trust me, if you have a worm that will eat a tomato, and it will also eat corn, even if you have them 100 yards (or more!) apart, you'll probably have them on both since the parent moths can migrate from one state to another.

So go ahead and plant them next to each other, just make sure you have room for your self and possibly some equipment between them.

If you see signs of the corn earworm / tomato fruitworm / cotton bollworm, spray with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) to control them. You can also apply 5 drops of mineral oil or corn oil (apply only once) to corn ear tips when the silks begin to turn brown. Any worms that survive that treatment can be cut away along with the damaged corn when it is prepared for cooking.

I hope that helps.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Earworm

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 10:11PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Already answered on your duplicate post of this question on the Vegetable forum. I suggested you might want to check in with the folks on the Companion Planting forum instead since they subscribe to those beliefs.

Personally my corn grows right next to my tomato plants and has for years with no problems.

Dave

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 10:48PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

And I already answered your question in great detail at another message site, pointing out that your plants don't even need to be near any corn at all in order to get tomato fruitworm, which is the same as Corn Earworm.

I also suggested that you Google a bit to satisfy your concerns and suggested using Tomato Fruitworm to start with and also linked you to a site to start with.

I also made a few comments about info in that book and being an old lady I read the first edition so many years ago it's hard to remember when. LOL Tried some of the companion plantings suggested but was not at all impressed, probably since I used controls so could directly assess what might have worked.

Carolyn, who admits that she is not a fan of companion planting. Sigh.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 8:38AM
ribsyhuggins

A few feet.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
Supermarket Tomato Plants III
Here are the 2 plants from my wifes tomato that sprouted...
garf_gw
Your Favorite Black / brown Tomatoes
Per title, Mine are as follows: ==CHEROKEE PURPLE (repeat) ==...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Big Beef Vs. Better Boy
Recently I was searching a tomato variety. Accidently...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™