Leaves yellow with brown spot (with pics)

maggersmagooMay 19, 2008

Two of my three tomato plants are developing yellow leaves, some with brown spots, and some browning and dying all together.

Any ideas what the problem is, and how to fix it? I don't think I am overwatering, the soil is slightly damp, but by no means soggy. The sprinklers I have are misting type, so the foliage does get wet when watered.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave1mn2(5b-6a)

Sorry but your pics won't load for me.

Misters are going to be problematic.

Try this post from the Tomato Pests and disease forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Help

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 10:09PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Can't see your pics either - they won't load here - but misted foliage is a great breeding ground for fungal diseases. "Yellow with brown spots" could be several things including overwatering as the soil by no means needs to be even damp all the time.

Try reloading your pictures so we can be of more help. ;)

Dave

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 10:23PM
maggersmagoo

Okay, maybe you can click on this link and look at the album:

I checked the soil again, I don't know if I would even say its damp. It's not bone dry, but its not wet.

If it is a fungus, will a fungicide help, or it won't work because of the foliage getting wet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Album

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 11:43PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Stop the misting. Instead, water at ground level.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 2:15AM
jbann23(6 RI)

Whoa, pick off all spotty leaves and destroy, apply Daconil, stop watering from above or misting, mulch. Ease off on any nitrogen fertilizers. It's not too late.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 7:33AM
maggersmagoo

So its definitely a fungus? I noticed today that the yellow leaves have taken over a large part of the middle plant. What percentage of the leaves can I tear off and not damage the plant or the fruit (it has begun setting fruit)?

Is Daconil better than the Ortho brand garden fungus spray? Do they carry it at Home Depot?

I do have mulch, and the only time I fertilized was when I planted them, so I guess I just need to turn off the sprinkler and drag the hose out.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 1:54PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

So its definitely a fungus? I noticed today that the yellow leaves have taken over a large part of the middle plant. What percentage of the leaves can I tear off and not damage the plant or the fruit (it has begun setting fruit)?
Is Daconil better than the Ortho brand garden fungus spray? Do they carry it at Home Depot?

Ortho Garden Disease Control is Daconil ( chlorothalonil) and if you do get it you want the 29% active ingredient one b'c different concentrations are sold. There are other brands as well but always get the ones with 29% Daconil before dilution.

I looked at the pictures carefully, especially the last two, and I'm not entirely convinced that it's fungal in nature. It could be Bacterial Spot. I think part of the problem is lighting and photos since sometimes the spots look black and other times brown and some are kinda blurry.

If I were you I'd Google the four major foliage pathogens which are:

Early Blight (A.solani)
Septoria Leaf Spot
Bacterial Spot
Bacterial Speck

.....and see if you can match up some pictures. You can also go to Google, select IMAGES, and individually enter those diseases with the word tomato also includeed.

If it's bacterial then Daconil is of no use and you have to use a copper containing product such as Kocide or similar.

Carolyn

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 2:14PM
maggersmagoo

I took some more photos today, the lighting was a little better. I looked over the plant again too, and the problem seems to be starting from the edges of the leaves. They are turning brown and drying up. Some of the leaves then get spots in the middle. You can see from the new pics, some leaves are brown on the edges, but the leaves are still green.

I didn't notice any more leaves with the small brown specs like the last two photos I posted yesterday. I'll have to look again for those.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Photos

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
Pinetree Garden Seed Company for Cuostralee
Is Pinetree Garden Seed a reliable source for tomato...
matthias_lang
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™