A tomato that has a lot of acid

chaoMay 25, 2009

Which varieties of tomatoes have the most acid. Red

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Most acidic taste? That is a matter of personal taste buds. ;) Check out the previous discussion linked below on this question.

Most titratable acidity of the fruit itself? The range for all tomatoes is 4.0-4.6 so not much difference.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoes with acidic flavor discussion

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 8:26AM
pennyrile

Pusa Ruby, an open pollinated tomato popular in India, is among the most sour tomatoes for which you can commonly get seeds. There are a few hybrids and open pollinated breeding lines available from Indian companies that give improved yields over Pusa Ruby and still have the distinctly sour flavor profile. Most of them also are good heatsetters.

Sour tomatoes like Pusa Ruby generally are used in various Indian and Southeast Asian cooked dishes and condiment sauces rather than used for fresh eating.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 9:36AM
mulio

what kind of acid?

the kind pennyrile enjoyed at Berkley parties?

if you want a tart tomato try the high vitamin types like CaroRed or CaroRich.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 10:56AM
jessicavanderhoff(7 Md)

Any idea where to get Pasa Ruby seeds? I'm intrigued.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 1:32PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Sand Hill Preservation Center [good people]

Tatiana's TomatoBase [haven't bought from her, but it's a wonderful site, and she posts here; she's also based in Canada if that's helpful]

Tanager Song Farm [see their name occasionally, but don't know anything about them]

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 6:24PM
brainsander(Ok.7)

Try Sioux. Most people describe it as a "high acid" tomato. I consider it to be very good tasting no matter how much "acid" it has, and it makes it's way into at least one of my 'mater patches most years. I've never been good at deciphering acidic vs. sweet undertones in tomatoes, though. Lots of people say Jetstar is "low acid", and I don't get that either, but i think it is quite tasty. I will say that I prefer Sioux over Jetstar. Maybe I do like my tomatoes with a little acid. How trippy... But do try Sioux. You can get seeds at heirloomseeds.com and Sandhill Preservation.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 9:30PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Chao, I'm thinking that you probably mean not high acid, rather, a variety that has a stronger more aggressive taste and one group of varieties that you might look at are the older commercial varieties such as:

Valiant
New Yorker
Manalucie
Break O Day, a fave of mine
WI 55
Rutgers

..... to name a few, and if you really want an almost spit out try Sandpoint, available at Sandhill and that variety has nada to do with Sandhill, although Glenn disagrees with me. LOL Or try the original Tigerella, aka the original Mr Stripey, which is a small red with jagged gold stripes.

Carolyn, who says Hi to Brian, aka Brain in the above post; wish you posted more Brian. ( smile)

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 9:41PM
dkmarsh(6)

Perhaps chao is looking for a tomato which is "high acid" for canning purposes, since "low acid" tomatoes are insufficiently acidic to be canned with a boiling water canner and require a pressure canner instead.

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 7:00PM
jessicavanderhoff(7 Md)

Thank you, missing the obvious. I have ordered from sandhill before, so may order them if I do another sandhill order.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 12:46AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

"high acid" for canning purposes, since "low acid" tomatoes are insufficiently acidic to be canned with a boiling water canner and require a pressure canner instead.

Sorry but current NCHFP/USDA guidelines allow for BWB canning of tomatoes - pressure canning is optional.

All tomatoes, regardless of variety, are treated as low-acid when it comes to home canning because all varieties fall below the safe pH acidity level. Thus the requirement since 1970 to add either bottled lemon juice or citric acid regardless of the processing method used.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning tomatoes and tomato products guidelines

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 10:34AM
catman529(6b)

I grew the variety "Hank" last year; it was definitely a more acidic-tasting variety. Very seedy though; I decided I didn't like it and I'm not planning on growing it again. But the acidity was good and strong, at least for my taste buds.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 12:46PM
chao

We grew Rutgers when I was a kid. It has the taste I am after. I have some Rutgers planted this year.Also planted Rampo. We also used to plant Marion or Manaluci I cant rember which one.Thank yall very much for your help. I have 25 varieties planted this year. I will know more later. Red

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 12:52PM
dkmarsh(6)

@ digdirt:

Thanks for the clarification, Dave

-Dave

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 7:24PM
pennyrile

Another tomato that I think has a very strong acid bite is Bolseno hybrid from Johnny's Selected Seed. It's also a heavy producer on a unbelievably rampant vine. The tomatoes are about baseball size and flawless.

An heirloom type tomato that for me had surprising acid bite was Daniels, which otherwise looked and grew pretty much like Brandywine Sudduth.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Tell apart a Cherokee Purple and Black from Tula?
This year I decided to plant a mixed bag of seeds since...
brandon_the_random
Sponsored Products
Woodcrest Pine Ridge Mission Bed With Twin Trundle In Honey
Beyond Stores
Visir 30 Outdoor Wall Sconce by LBL Lighting
$252.00 | Lumens
Paris 18-Inch Sand Decorative Pillows - Set of Two
$58.95 | Bellacor
Hand-Forged Iron Cylinder Pull - Black Powder Coat
Signature Hardware
LEM Leather Bar Stool in Black
$249.00 | LexMod