Earthworms in bin

kskaren(z5 MO)June 16, 2009

I've been reading some of the old posts here, and I just ran across one where the poster said they were putting earthworms in the bin with their red wigglers. Most of the responses were, that it was not a good thing, and that the earthworms would eventually die.

I have had my bin for about 5 weeks now. When I set up the bin, I used some partially decomposed leaves, which had several earthworms in it. I, too, thought it would be a good thing, and left them in. Now, a few weeks later, they seem to be multiplying rapidly, because whenever I look into the bin, I always see several big, fat, juicy ones. Should I remove them, or will my bin be ok with them in there? Thanks!

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathd66

If the worms were originally in the leaves, then chances are that they are 'composting' worms as they were already working hard on breaking down the leaves. True 'earthworms' would have scooted down into deep burrows as soon as you disturbed the leaves. And they would be very unlikely to be above ground level during the day.
Not sure where you are, but most places have some kind of native composting worm, with E foetida or E hortensis being the most common.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 10:47AM
kskaren(z5 MO)

Thanks for your response! I am learning so much about worms that I never knew--yes, they were in the leaves--I didn't dig into the soil and get them. I always thought they were the same kind of worms. So, these shouldn't hurt my bin? They are so much bigger than the red wigglers, will they eventually crowd out their smaller neighbors? I'm in St. Joseph, MO, so I see I'll have to learn those proper names and figure out which ones we have. Thanks again!
Karen

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 11:27AM
greenboywi

I started up a bin with some soil from near a stream that had earthworms and lots of other creepy-crawlies in it, about a month ago, and it's doing fine so far.

What I've learned so far is that a wide range of organisms in the box is good - even so-called 'competing' species - they won't wipe out my redworm population, and they'll help 'toughen up' the worms at the same time.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 1:42PM
steamyb(7)

What does "toughen up" mean?

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
Air: Pump + Stone
How about a 5" airstone disc with a small (for...
barbararose21101
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
Worms for Raised Bed Garden
So I was digging in my raised bed gardens, which are...
susancol
I'm like my worms
Someone just mixed up my bin. I like change about as...
charitycomposter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™