foundation shrub suggestions...please...

eggs3March 17, 2014

I feel like giving up! When we moved into our house 12 years ago, the foundation shrubs in the front had some sort of disease and we removed them. Since then, we have had no luck with new ones. Either the drought or sun or ice has gotten to them.

I need suggestions for something 2-3 feet high that is really hardy for the house side that faces the north. The ones on the northwest end really get relentless sun in the summer.

Am I expecting too much for something to survive heat, drought, and cold/ice?

Many thanks for any suggestions. I'm disheartened .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whitecap

You're near Houston? Clay soil? Can you be a little more specific about sun and shade in this area? How "different" do you want to be? Are you ok with yearly trimming, or do you want something that requires no attention? How much water are you willing to give these plants?

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:57PM
msjam2

You could do knockout roses.

My house faces north too and I planted lots of roses and annuals.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 1:34PM
paradisecircus(7b/8a)

Without knowing some of the information whitecap brought up, my first thought would be to go native and go with the toughest plants on the natives list. I'm in DFW but just finished planting evergreen foundation shrubs last fall to serve as the "bones" of my flowerbed.

One suggestion (although not a Texas native) would be Wheeler's Dwarf Pittosporum. They only grow about 2-3 feet high and a bit wider. They're evergreen with a low, rounded, mounding and spreading growth habit and lovely shrubs. They survived the freezes we had in DFW and can take the heat as well. I only covered them when we were expecting ice but the other freezes, I didn't cover them. They've made it through with only slight damage to the tender new growth. I also find dwarf nandina really pretty as well as glossy abelia and Edward Goucher abelia. All evergreen, all fairly small at mature size (except the glossy abelia, which gets about 4 to 6 feet). I have these in my flowerbed and consider them pretty tough since they're planted in alkaline clay soil and have survived this weird winter we just had.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
ravencajun, about your security cameras
I asked on the plant thieves thread where you posted...
marti8a
Anyone Recognize This Cutie Beauty?
found it today, can't remember where it came from!
sylviatexas2
anyone seeing bluebonnets blooming yet?
I am on vacation this week and would love to take a...
PKponder TX
Spring blooms
I know there was another thread but haven't seen any...
tjayars1
going to austin but can't spend all time nursery hopping...
...as much as I'd like to, ha ha. Would like to know...
vossner
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Ventura Lifestyle Collection
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Summerton Life Style
$59.97 | Home Depot
SunStopper Sun Haven 12 x 8-ft. Motorized Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-12X8-MOTOR
Hayneedle
Joy Carpets Let the Children Come Kids Area Rug Multicolor - 1513-C
$239.99 | Hayneedle
Athena Alice 3 in 1 Convertible Crib - Espresso - 4689E
$249.00 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Collection Lamps 36-1/4 in. Rustic Bronze Buffet Lamp 3084900280
Home Depot
Anderson Sofa - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Couristan Cadence Adiago Area Rug - 51410390020311T
$59.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™