Add more worms to bin?

kskaren(z5 MO)June 5, 2009

I received my 1000 red worms about 3 weeks ago from Gardens Alive, and they are all snug and cozy in my homemade 10-gallon rubbermaid bin. Today, I received an email from Gardens Alive, stating they shipped me 1000 redworms yesterday. Confused, I called them, explaining that I'd already received my order, and did not order more. They told me there must have been a system error, that they had no record of me being shipped the first order, and to keep the second order with their compliments. Well, I am THRILLED to be getting 1000 more worms here in the next few days! But....I need to know what to do with them. Do I start another bin? Do I add them to my existing bin, or are 2000 worms in that size container too many? I don't mind starting another bin, because I hoped to have more than one eventually anyway. I just didn't know it would be so soon. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

You could go either way, A 10 gallon bin can support 2000 worms, and possibly a few more. In a year or less I would think you could have a worm population of about 3000 worms in your bin. That would probably max out a 10 gallon bin. But if you want a second bin, this would be a good opportunity to start it.

If you figure that your worm population will double every 3 months, but not keep growing after the bin is maxed out, your bin will be maxed out in about 3 months. Start the new bin now. Or start one bin now, and split it the first time you harvest in about 6 months.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 10:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shermthewerm(8 PNW)

I had the same thing happen with my redworm order from GardensAlive. I received the 1000 worms (without ever receiving a shipment confirmation), and then received an email confirmation 2 weeks later that the worms had been shipped. I, too, thought I would be getting an additional 1000 worms, but I never did receive the order.
If you are that lucky, though, I would just put them in with the others. It won't be too many, and you'll be able to add more food.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Need help for my kitchen
There is no way I can get to my outdoor compost in...
equinoxequinox
best VC recipe to start plants in greenhouse?
I'm going to start seedlings in a high tunnel and was...
chazz1100
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Seed Swap
Due to Garden Web being houzz and everybody being unhappy,...
equinoxequinox
Types of worms
I imagine this topic has been discussed at length in...
duaroger
Sponsored Products
Garton Medallion Rug 6' x 9'
$2,399.00 | Horchow
Rigel Matte Resin Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Sweet Olive Antique Fancy Scroll Mug
Classic Hostess
Montana Woodworks Homestead Bookcase Stained and Lacquered
Beyond Stores
Zuo Linea Walnut Small Console
Euro Style Lighting