Weeds in my Periwinkle!!

naughtywildcat(7Maryland)May 28, 2008

I have some nice beds of periwinkle in my front yard, however, there are lots of weeds growing in it now, and I wanted to find out what the easiest way to remove them is. I am rather afraid that is going to be by hand only, but I wanted to ask incase there might be something that I am missing. Even if the method involves working with the ground pre-weed season, that would be fine too. I just need some tactics. I would love to fertilize the periwinkle to help it grow really thick, but I am not going to waste the fertilizer on weeds.

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julia(z8a)

I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that this is a patch of newly installed groundcover? If so, I strongly recommend a pre-emergent herbicide like Preen, for the first two years until the periwinkle fills in. There is a like organic product - I think it is called Concern - which is mostly corn gluten. But, it is too late this season. Pre-emergents need to be applied early, when the forsythia blooms. And, they don't do anything to stop perennial weeds that have established roots. They just stop seeds from germinating. I am affraid you will have to hand pull this Spring's crop of weeds.

This labor intensive project diminishes when the groundcover advances. So do what you can to speed that process (watering, pruning, fertilizing with a slow acting organic, stapling down those longer shoots). You are using mulch in any bald spots around your periwinkle aren't you? If not, run out and buy some this weekend. It should help keep new weeds from sprouting by blocking out the light. Never let those weeds go to seed or there will be more than ever next year. Good luck! Did someone give you the mistaken impression that groundcovers are low maintenance? Nothing is easier to maintain than a lawn even if your lawn is a golf course.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™