New Bedding

davewv(6b)June 11, 2013

I am new to vermicomposting and I am thinking of materials to use for bedding that I can easily get and cheap. I work for a landscape contractor and we use cellulose blended mulch for grass seeding and was thinking that I could use the old leftover mulch for bedding. I've read the MSDS sheet and didn't see any chemicals that might be harmful. It does say it has a biostimulant in it. I thought is would work well because its basically shredded up paper. Has anyone tried this or do you have any thoughts about it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

I would want to know what the biostimulant is. The cellulose itself would probably be great bedding, but the additives would concern me.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 12:16PM
davewv(6b)

After some research, a natural biostimulant appears to be organic matter and/or PGH (plant growth hormones). The data sheets also say that is 100% biodegradable and it is a "green" product. I would think that it wouldn't really hurt the worms, especially since most of the material has been sitting out in the weather for a long period of time. I will try it and see how it goes.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 2:16PM
Shaul(Israel)

Try it on a small sampling of your worms instead of the whole squirm. That way you'll only have 10 Superworms (who have just eaten the front door and are now making short work of the refrigerator) instead of 10,000.

Shaul

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:58PM
davewv(6b)

Haha..I'll try it one with and one without and see if there is a difference. Might have lime green worms great for fishing.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:16AM
Shaul(Israel)

Just so long as they don't turn out like the worms from 'Dune' (or was that before your time?), or more recently, like the Anaconda movie.

Shaul

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 12:29PM
davewv(6b)

Anaconda is more my time. If I can grow worms that big I'll need ti invest in a bigger bin.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
Here, in the afterglow of day, we keep our rendezvous beneath the blue
Any GardenWeb alternatives on the horizon? This worm...
equinoxequinox
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
chuckiebtoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™