What size container for moonflower?

sandyinva(7A)May 25, 2009

I have started seedlings ( I hope) in peat pots, and would like to place them in a pot on the deck to grow up the sides. How large a pot should I use and how many seedlings should grow in a pot?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
littleonefb

My neighbor uses 10 inch pots with miracle grow potting mix. 1 seedling in each pot and plants the seedling towards the side of the pot so it is close to the edge to go up her railings.

She places the pots on several levels of her stairs going up her deck. They fill in fairly quickly and look beautiful.

Fran

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 12:30PM
sandyinva(7A)

Thank you Fran, that is just what I was looking for: I had thought about planting it in the ground but decided a pot would give it more protection from being stepped upon.

I wish I had begun the seeds earlier, I will do that next year so they will bloom earlier than September, which I think is likely at this point.

Sandy

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 3:16PM
ninadambra(z7 NJ)

i used to grow them one per 11 inch pot and train them up strings tied to the third story level of my fire escape in brooklyn. they got most of the way up in a season! now i grow in the ground or several in a large planter tub. i suspect yours will bloom by august -- they grow quickly. you dont want to set them out too early anyway, as they are cold sensitive.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 8:46AM
karyn1(7a)

I grow one per 15" pot. You can winter them over inside and get blooms early the following year. My problem in 7a is that when started from seed, even early, they don't bloom until late summer.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™