Bleeding Heart Vine

bossjim1May 9, 2007

I posted this over on the 'Gardening in Texas' forum, but thought that you might enjoy it also. This vine was very lush last year with only a few blooms. This year in eary March, I pruned it real hard.

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilion

Oh that is SO pretty! I bet it isn't hardy to my zone though, is it?

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 4:08PM
bossjim1

alys, probably not. It is only hardy to 30 deg., although this one saw 28 deg. this winter.
Jim

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 4:16PM
chazparas(USDA zone 9 , San Jose, CA)

I'm green with envy! Clerodendrom T. is one of my favorite flowering vines, I've only seen them as house plants never in a garden on a trellis, gorgeous!!

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 4:22PM
bossjim1

chazparas, it seems to be real happy. Last year it completely covered the trellis, which is 8'X15' high, but only bloomed sporadically. I think the hard pruning brought it to life.
Jim

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 4:43PM
lilion

Yes Jim, that's a BIG no! We get under zero here sometimes. Heck, we hit 20 just a couple weeks ago, although that was a fluke. I'm jealous! It's really lovely!

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 5:33PM
karyn1(7a)

That's beautiful! I have 2 C. thomsoniae's, a solid and a variegated but I have to keep them in containers. I'd love to be able to leave them in the ground and allow them to grow on a fence like that. Yours is the prettiest one I've ever seen.
Karyn

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 8:57AM
geener25

Can you please tell me the basic care for this vine? This thread has helped to identify a vine of mine. The leaves and flower shape look similar. However, does it come in red/purple too? Thanks

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 7:50PM
bossjim1

It does come in a red & lavender form. If you will read all the comments listed on the attached link, you should find some good information on care for the Bleeding Heart vine as a potted plant. Also if you'll check the photos, there are several pictures of the form you describe. Hope this helps.
Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bleeding Heart vine

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 10:13PM
karyn1(7a)

The purple/red variety is called Clerodendron x speciosa and is a cross between the thomsoniae and the splendens. I have mine in full sun and allow it to dry between waterings. I usually feed it once a month. For some reason that one grows much bigger than either of my thomsoniae's. I love all the clerodendrons. There are so many varieties and some look absolutely nothing alike. My favorite is the C. ugandense
Karyn

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 7:13AM
bossjim1

Karyn, I have several clerodendrums and think my favorite is the Musical Notes.
Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Musical Notes

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 8:32AM
adg1127

I have a bleeding hear planted in the ground. We had a very cold winter for zone 8...no trees for protection.I did cover it with a blanket though. My heart looks dead and all the "vines" are dead. What are my chances of it coming back from the roots? This is a very sentimental plant to me, it was my mothers...HELP!

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 7:02PM
TnShadyLady(7a)

Clerodendrum Thomsoniae is listed as hardy to zones 9-12. If you had a cold winter (even with a blanket), it's probably not likely to make it. :(

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 2:03PM
MaryAnn1950

Anyone here???

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Gnarly old grape vine
A neglected grape vine/arbour with a lattice of thick...
logo
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™