How many worms to start with?
I just started worm composting this week and was given a handful of worms from a local vermicomposter.
My worm system:
- home made 10 gallon bin with holes in the bottom and sides
- bedding comes up about 5 inches and is a mix of shredded paper and cardboard
- stored in the basement
1) I know that worms will multiply to consume the amount of food provided - but since I just started out with a handful, do I need to wait a certain amount of time before I add food? Say there are 30ish worms in the bucket - do i need to see more like 100+ before I start adding my food scraps? If the bins start to smell, then my husband gives my vermicomposting the boot.
2) Is there an easier way to search this forum? When I search up top, it gives me matches in all the forums rather than just this one.(I'm hoping to find answers since I'm sure my questions have come up before many times.)
3) I read that over-checking your worms was not ideal. How often do you check the moisture levels?
Thanks for the help!