Where to get a Grape Kool Aid Tree?

Lynn MarieMarch 22, 2011

Does anyone know where I can get a Texas Mountain Laurel in East Dallas / Mesquite? I've only been able to find seeds on the internet even.

Thanks in advance!

Lynn Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kbaird4939

Have you tried Rohde's in Garland? They carry mostly natives and adapted plants and I'm sure I've seen them there in the past.
Kelly

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 4:35PM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

I've seen them in Calloway's or Home Depot a couple of times. You might be able to get someone to order one for you.

We're on the upper edge of their range for blooming, I've seen a couple sources say that I-20's the northern edge. I transplanted a couple from my parents' house and it's a difficult giving them enough sun to get flowers but still providing enough protection from the cold in the winter. And a late freeze can kill the flowers, as the bud stems form and set in the fall to open mid-March. They're a great evergreen bush, though!

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 9:06PM
Lynn Marie

I saw them at the Dallas Arboretum yesterday and they were in full bloom. So I guess they will bloom here.

I'll try Rhodes, Lowes, Calloways, and Home Depot! Time to shop!

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 9:58PM
kbaird4939

I've seen them in native landscaping that the city of Mesquite has installed. They have done very well.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 12:11PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I found some a lowes in Burleson. Check yours or ask them to order some from another store.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 11:34PM
lorraine_iam

Purple kool aid tree. Native to South Africa
I ordered one a few days ago from http://www.anniesannuals.com/
$8.00 $13 s/h .
Psoralea pinnata âÂÂKool-Aid BushâÂÂ
Psoralea pinnata âÂÂKool-Aid BushâÂÂ

Bursting into a traffic stopping display of bloom from early to late Summer, this South African shrub or small tree is a wonderful choice for a small yard and mixed border. Maxing out at a height of 12âÂÂ, itâÂÂs a very fast grower reaching 5-8â in its first year, with dense soft needle like foliage. Blooming in its first year, the large 4-5â clusters hold totally enticing, exquisitely shaded lavender blue and white bi-colored sweet pea like flowers. But thatâÂÂs not all! TheyâÂÂre sweetly scented ��" some say like grape Kool-Aid! Easy to prune into any shape you like, do provide well-drained soil, Summer water and a top dressing of compost once a year for a glorious show.

Annie
Sun/Pt. Sun
Avg/Low Water
Shrub/Tree
USDA Zones 9-11

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 3:40PM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

Lorraine, that picture isn't a texas mountain laurel, to the best of my knowledge. I attached a picture taken of the blooms of a mature tree on UT's campus. Also, try Northaven gardens in dallas for a nice sized one. They are slow growers. GREAT and underused tree. Sure wish the bozo's who landscaped along central expressway in dallas knew a thing or two about native trees. We have dehydrated bald cypress.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:17PM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

Why do these files erase when you proof and re-preview??

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:18PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Why do these files erase when you proof and re-preview??

You have to reattach the photo if you correct or modify anything while previewing... quirk of the current system. If you forget, you can just edit your post to reattached the photo.

Agree North Haven Gardens is a good option and will order if not in stock. Redenta's Skillman store is another to check with from east Dallas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redenta's locations

This post was edited by bostedo on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 22:49

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
Rusty blackhaw viburnum spacing to fence
Intend to train this small RBV (Viburnum rufidulum)...
bostedo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™