Too much water or too little? (Schizophragma hydrangeoides)

SharonMurphy(7a)May 25, 2014

I recently planted seven Moonlight Climbing Hydrangeas as part of my "block out the neighbors vehicle hoarding" project. (zone 7a) The soil is all clay, I dug a really big hole, added claybreaker to the bottom, added the plant, and more claybreaker around the sides, topping it off with topsoil. (for each plant, not seven in the same hole lol) Most of them seem to be adjusting well, but a couple not so much. The leaves are pale, droopy and starting to curl a little. I don't know if the clay is holding the water in the hole too much and drowning it, or if I am watering it too lightly in fear of this.

What are the behaviors of too much water compared to too little water for this plant?

This post was edited by SharonMurphy on Sun, May 25, 14 at 16:31

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

It appears to need a good, slow soaking to me. Take your garden hose, turn it on to just a trickle and set it at the base of the plant. Let it soak all day, then assess it the next day. If it's still wilted, take it back where you bought it and get another.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 1:34PM
SharonMurphy(7a)

Thanks

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 2:43PM
daphnexduck(Z8 Tacoma, WA)

I'm thinking about planting one of these vines and I'd love to know how they did for you. How tall did they get their first year? Did they bloom? Were they pretty? Did you figure out how much water they want?

Daphne in Tacoma

Bookmark   December 30, 2014 at 1:33PM
SharonMurphy(7a)

Out of eight planted, three went brown over the summer, the others did fine. New growth and flowers as they should have. I think that I will need to redo the holes for the three that browned, it seemed like they drained too quickly, so either the water never soaked in and just ran off the tops, or drained too quickly out of the hole and just wasn't taken up.

They should do great in Tacoma. I grew up in that area, and remember the soil being much richer and better for almost any plant than where i am now. Clay is just not very forgiving.

Bookmark   December 30, 2014 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
are ficus pumila bad for stucco walls?
if the building itself is made of wood, and it has...
preppystud
Fast Growing Vines
Hey everyone! I would like to get some fast growing...
Matt Conner
Getting hops and honeysuckles to climb tall smooth posts?
I've got some vigorous hops vine, and so far less big...
fireweed22
Anyone grow Lavender Falls Betty Tam Wisteria?
Just bought a smaller one of these yesterday. Was looking...
kingcobbtx9b
Sponsored Products
Lunar 5 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in Espresso Peridot
$1,339.00 | LexMod
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Nassau Tan/Green 5 ft. x 7
Home Depot
John Louis Basket Organizer
Overstock.com
Blue Green Swivel Outdoor Lounge Chair, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Mrs. Claus Dress Bottle Cover
$7.99 | zulily